Saturday, February 05, 2005

After breakfast I went online to check my e-mail. I promised the kids that I would get in touch with them. Internet access in Kenya is not good. It's dial-up and the line goes down more often than Linda Lovelace. It's also expensive - 20KS per minute - that's about £1.50 for 10 minutes. I wasn't surprised to learn that most Kenyans do not use the Internet.

After checking my e-mail, I did some reading and sun-bathing. I'm still reading The Sun: A Biography and I read a great deal today.

We skipped lunch. It's too much to have breakfast, lunch and a monster meal in the evening. Instead, I had a siesta for an hour around about 2pm. It was another boiling day. Around 35C and sunny the whole day. I went for a swim at 4.30pm to cool down.

We had dinner at 8pm. It was an outdoor buffet. It was nice but there were a lot of locusts flying around (and landing on your table, hair and soup) which was a little off-putting. This evening's entertainment was The Boneless Boys. Yes - they were as bad as they sound. It was a couple of guys doing gymnastics and dancing. Rubbish but strangely interesting.

Bed at 10.30pm. My eyes feel like lead.

1 Comments:

At 7:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to inform you that quite an increasing number of kenyans do use the internet with a penetration of over 10%. This is a low but it is still very impressive. This can be attributed to the numerous internet cafes that have sprung up and the normal charge is usually Ksh1 per min , which comes out to roughly 75 US cents per min. Sorry to inform that the hotel ripped you off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home