Saturday, January 29, 2005

First full day on safari

I woke at 6am this morning. The first safari of the day started at 6.30am. We saw the sunrise at 6.45am. Beautiful. The sights and sounds are amazing. The place hums.

We didn't see many animals this morning. Giraffe, elephants and gazelles. Felix told us that you can be lucky or unlucky - and we were unlucky this morning. But I still got some good photos.

We returned for breakfast at 8.40am. The food is great. I was hungry since the drive into the bush is quite physically demanding (you stand almost the entire time and when you're not standing your bones are severely shaken by the terrible roads - an "African massage" as Felix calls it).

Margaret visited the local Samburu tribe while I stayed in the camp. The camp is amazing. A river runs through it which normally attracts lots of animals - although the water is low at this time of the year and the number of animals was correspondingly low. After lunch I went for a swim (in the pool not the river!) and then did a little sun-bathing and book reading. I'm currently reading The Sun: A Biography.

The second safari started at 4pm. There were more animals this time! We saw herds of elephants, lots of impala (two of which were fighting), various monkey troops, oryx and a couple of giraffes. We tried to spot some large cats but couldn't find any. Maybe next time. We returned to the camp at 6.45pm.

I showered then dinner at 8pm followed by a drink. It's 10.15pm and I'm in bed writing this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home